Charles William Martin started business in Lower Tory Street, Wellington, on 5th November 1900.
The past 120 years have seen the company specialise in the plumbing, sheetmetal, electrical, temperature controlled laboratory equipment and home heating industries.
Today, C W Martin (1973) Ltd is managed by grandson Peter Martin and specialises in custom made Child Guards for wood and gas fireplaces, plus also supplying Fire Grates and Accessories, and Replacement Parts for new and old Wood Burning and Multifuel appliances.
In January 2002, with the need to vacate the original building in Tory Street for earthquake strengthening to be carried out, it was decided to run the company from a home base along with this web site. This has proven to be extremely popular, especially with Child Guard customers.
This web site has also become our shop window and orders from throughout New Zealand are catered for. With photos and measurements from the client, we are able to see the situation and recognise parts that are required.
We became known as `The Grate Place’ because people were always saying ‘that’s great’ when they got the satisfaction of finding the Fire Grate or Spare Part that they were looking for.
C.W. Martin Ltd was a foundation member of the ‘New Zealand Home Heating Association’ – an organisation of manufacturers, retailers and installers working together to provide the best service, workmanship and advice to the customer.